The current version of the plugin supports:
- Single profile as defined in the documentation section
- Different adaptation logics
- Single/Multiple periods per media presentation
- ISO Base Media File Format segments
- The mpd profiles attribute must be set to “urn:mpeg:mpegB:profile:dash:isoff-basic-on-demand:cm”
Profiles of DASH are defined so as to enable interoperability and the signaling of the use of features etc. A profile has an identifier and refers to a set of specific restrictions. The profiles with which a MPD complies are indicated in the MPD@profiles attribute.
An adaptation logic is a logic that selects the next segment or part of a segment that should be downloaded. With the current design it should be very easy to implement and test new logics for research purposes.
But I recommend to use just single periods due to the beta state of the plugin.
Test-Content and sample MPDs are located at the Download-Section. Videos of the plugin were you can see DASH in action and some other versions of the plugin that support the CMP layer and session transfer using MPEG-21 could be found here. Documentation about the supported profile and how to build VLC with DASH as well as a class diagram could be found on the Documentation-Section.